United Kingdom court hearing begins for sick baby

United Kingdom court hearing begins for sick baby

United Kingdom court hearing begins for sick baby

His parents, Chris Gard and Connie Yates, have garnered global support in their financial and legal fight to seek experimental treatment in the US after three British courts and the European Court of Human Rights ruled that further treatment would only prolong the baby's suffering.

A visibly distressed Ms Yates apologised to the judge, saying it was hard to hear "lies" being told about their son's condition. "We feel it should be our right as parents to decide to give him a chance at life", she continued. "There is nothing to lose, he deserves a chance".

Professor Neena Modi, president of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, said in an open letter that only the family, the doctors treating Charlie, and now the legal teams involved know the details of complex issues that define his situation.

In a statement, the London hospital said it was "right to try" the experimental treatment prepared for Charlie by "two global hospitals". They concluded the baby was "being exposed to continued pain, suffering and distress" and undergoing experimental treatment with "no prospects of success. would offer no benefit". "If he is still fighting, we are still fighting".

Congressmen in Washington DC propose to hand the Gards permanent residency so they can access potentially life-saving treatment, regardless of the decision of British courts in the controversial case.

Meanwhile, David Lidington, Britain's justice secretary, has attempted to prematurely distance the United Kingdom government from the court's ultimate decision on Charlie.

He said Charlie's parents should set out any "new evidence" they had.

"As ministers and as a Government we have no role to play in the Charlie Gard case, as would be the case in any other proceeding in court". On Monday, July 10, the judge who previously ruled against the Gards agreed to review whatever new evience they can present to him for a reevaluation.

UK's foreign secretary backs doctors in Baby Charlie case
President Trump also weighed in on Twitter, telling Charlie's parents that the U.S.is ready to help any way we can. However, GOSH has refused the requested transfer , saying that Charlie can not be moved due to legal reasons.

Record Chomp: Reigning Champ Joey Chestnut Dominates Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
The all-time Nathan's record holder among women competitors is Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas , who downed 45 dogs in 2012. The owner of the Coney Island stand, Nathan Handwerker, overheard four immigrants arguing over who was more patriotic.

Nitish Kumar: Congress a big party, should set Opposition agenda
Do you want me to get defeated? During the meeting, Kumar did not refer to the BJP or Prime Minister and his policies. Political events around the upcoming Presidential poll issue pushed the farmers' issue far back.

Judge Nicholas Francis gave the couple until Wednesday afternoon to present the evidence and set a new hearing for Thursday in a case that has drawn global attention.

Charlie's mother Connie Yates and father Chris Gard, from Bedfont in west London, said they are determined to continue their fight for their son to have nucleoside therapy.

However, they lost a lengthy legal battle after judges ruled in favour of doctors at GOSH.

Mr Justice Francis oversaw a preliminary hearing in the Family Division of the High Court on Monday.

Great Ormond Street Hospital applied for another court hearing because of "new evidence relating to potential treatment for his condition".

"We don't see what's dignified about him dying - we think it's dignified that he has a chance at life and if it doesn't work then we'll let him go".

Charlie's parents, Chris Gard and Connie Yates, have received wide public support, while right-to-life groups have intervened in their cause.

The pastor, who flew in from Washington DC, said: "He is a handsome child, a wonderful child".

Related news